Monday, May 13, 2019

GOT S8 - Episode 5 - The Bells

Burn Them All

Amazing episode! It was an epic war zone and I could not help cheering Drogon and Dany on! The burning of Kings Landing was a beautiful sight to behold!  Watching that dragon blowing up Euron's Iron fleet had me clapping and screaming "Go Drogon"!!!! I was so enthralled with the episode I never finished my glass of wine! Does this make me a secret Targaryen? 😂

I know there are going to be plenty of reviews stating this episode was terrible. I think Rotten Tomatoes already gave it a bad review, worse rating than the episode 4 one in fact. Well, ok, but as I said about the last episode, the writing isn't the greatest, it was sacrificed to concentrate on the widescreen cinematic effects. Once again, the story was rushed and suffered severe casualties.

As for me, at this point I just wanted to see justice for the killing of Rhaegal and Missandei. This episode was pure cinematic war! Of course, in war, there are always going to be innocent casualties.  Has Dany gone full blown mad queen?  Well, the writer's already doomed her to follow that path, so no surprise to me. In retrospect, Cersei would have done the same in her place and slept well that night to boot.

I do have a few questionable items to ponder:

  1. What was the significance of Vary's removing his rings? Did he ever manage to send out his messages before his roasting?
  2. How the hell did Euron miss hitting Drogon, when he had perfectly dead aim on Rhaegal? How did he survive his ship being blown apart by dragonfire? So he conveniently shows up at the same time Jamie reaches the beach headed into the Red Keep? 
  3. Why the sudden change of heart by Arya on completing her list? She never listened to Sandor before.
  4. Where did that white horse come from??? It just magically appeared to spirit Arya out of Kings Landing.  (Was that Bran??)
  5. I felt cheated on the prophetic death of Jaime and Cersei. Their death was a big let down. My consolation? They are both dead. 😐

The entire "blow them up, blow them up real good" episode was such  an enjoyable show. Needless to say, I have watched it several times.  I love Drogon and happy he survived those "scorpion needles". So maybe I enjoyed the show a little too much???  If you love dragons by all means watch...I loved how Drogon tore the city apart! "Dracarys!!!"

Dany will always be my Queen. Cheers! 🍷

Credit:
Picture courtesy of HBO