Monday, July 15, 2019

Worrying - A Waste of Time

Worry

This is my mantra...what I keep saying to myself  when I first open my eyes in the morning. "Stop worrying about things you can't control."  It's a brutal truth that I find hard to accept. I really have no control over many things that happen in my own life, much less anyone else. 

To be honest, I am a recovering control freak.  I admit it.  I always think if I have control over every aspect of my life,  I can prevent bad things from happening to me and those I love. I always tried to find a way, solve the problem, make everything better, no matter what the cost to me.  It has been a rough road traveled to realize that nothing I say or do will stop the future from happening. A harsh reality that on some unconscious level I still have absolutely no lingering doubt,  I will be able to "fix the problem". 

Unfortunately, my agonizingly slow morphing into some semblance of recovery has now turned me into a "worry wart", usually about the same things I realize I cannot control. I always feel  I will find a solution, that I just have to "worry" it to death.  This worrying happens even when no resolution exists or is out of reach. Actually, I believe it appeases the "control freak" in me, as it’s feels like I am doing something about it when in reality, I have lost control over myself.  If it's going to happen, no amount of worrying about it will help thwart its arrival. 

Lately, I worry about what "might happen" if we do this or if we move there. A flood of questions that just clutter my mind, since I have no answers.  My imagination plays havoc with my vision of reality, which of course, adds to the constant worry.  It has caused many sleepless nights, a lack of concentration, loss of my creative spirit and left me with a very pessimistic attitude. Trust me…I have been there and back in my mind several times over and left with no energy to attack the problems I can solve, here and now.  

Sometimes I realize where my mind is headed and can stop the worm from taking hold....other times it crawls out of control. 

This struggle to regain my balance in life is a battle I am working on every day.  

Current Mood: 😟