Thursday, July 11, 2019

Honey I'm Home!

Mesilla Plaza, New Mexico

I traveled to Las Cruces, New Mexico to visit with my brother and his family shortly after the 4th holiday.  My daughter and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, near the campus of New Mexico State University.  My family lives further north, off I-25, but it wasn't a long drive from the hotel to their home. We enjoyed our stay in this beautiful old city; the second largest city in New Mexico. I was amazed to see how much this city has grown since my last visit.

We visited the Farmer's Market our first day, enjoying all the various colorful stalls and goodies offered.  The Market was located on Main, and along with all those stalls with enough offerings to make my head spin, there were also the stores to wander in and out of.  As always, we spent most of our time in the used bookstore! Remember, I can't go anywhere without visiting a bookstore! Never fear, I did purchase a John Grisham book I had not read, (imagine that!). 😂  Later that evening we went to La Posta for dinner, a fantastic restaurant with authentic new mexican fare. After dinner we took a walk around Mesilla Plaza, where I took the above picture. The Mesilla Plaza and a number of its surrounding buildings are a National Historic Landmark District and a fascinating place to visit.  (Check out this link: Mesilla Plaza.) 

The second day was spent just resting and relaxing, catching up on everything that has happened in our lives since we last met, while my nieces took my daughter to the movies.

On the third day, we traveled to Socorro and San Antonio, towns where my brother and I lived as children.  It was quick trip, but I managed to get pictures of my grandfather's home and my great grandparents home.  Amazingly, with all the tearing down of old buildings going on in Socorro, I was happy to see grandpa's house was still standing and in use! My great grandparents house in San Antonio had been converted to a "bed and breakfast" years ago and it looked much the same to me. I am not sure it's still open for business.  To be honest, I was a little depressed at seeing both towns, they do not seem to be growing or expanding. 😔 
Juan Miera Home (Grandfather)
Solomon Baca Home (Great Grandfather)
The last stop before heading back to Las Cruces was to grab a green chile cheeseburger and fries from The Owl Bar in San Antonio! The best burgers around, hands down!  😋

We had such a wonderful trip, I was so sorry to say goodbye. We really enjoyed our time with my brother's family.  Hopefully, we will be back sometime next year.  I'll get to bring my hubby with me...he was salivating over that burger! 

Back to the same ole, same ole...😎

Cheers!! 🍷

Current Mood: 😊