Thursday, April 4, 2019

Of Blood and Bone




I just finished reading the second book of Nora Roberts Chronicles of the One, Of Blood and Bone. I loved the first book of this series, "Year One",  let's face it, I literally devoured it. The second book was a disappointment. 😞

I just didn't enjoy this book.  I guess my expectations were too high as the story just didn't work for me at all. First of all, I had such a hard time getting back into this story.  I missed the paranormal activity, the scariness of the doom in the first book; missed the characters that I cared about. Actually, this book didn't even feel like it was part of the series. There was no action...just all that training, (260 pages devoted to training, quests that involved wandering around in forests and fairy hills, only to KNOW ALL ALONG where the prizes were). I found myself yawning and falling asleep. I just kept waiting for something...anything...to happen!! Geez, the last section of the book felt like it was written by someone else.  Fallon seemed to be a  different person from the first half of the book (what happened to her confidence???)...and the pace increased as well...we get a short battle with the evil uncanny's! (Rolls my eyes).  The last few chapters also give us a faint spark of a potential romance between Duncan and Fallon.  Unfortunately, the whole romantic scene seems very unappealing as Duncan literally grabs Fallon into a series of forced kisses, telling her "You didn't say no." and "I need this." Ummm...I have written better sensual scenes. Sighs...I really missed all the adult relationships developed in the first book. On a lighter note, this has my seal of approval for a young adult novel. 😑

Of course, this is not the end of Fallon's story. It continues with the third book, which I will pick up when it comes out later this year. Hopefully, (crosses fingers) it will be more like the first one.

I am sipping wine and going through Amazon for some new reading.  Hopefully, I will find a fantasy series that will keep me engrossed for the summer. 

Ohh, I almost forgot, silly me...I will be hanging on to my seat, chugging down wine and popcorn with the final season of Game of Thrones!! I can't wait!!! 😎